A dozen part-time UPS workers in Minneapolis took protest action on the job August 22, after discovering ties between Missouri law enforcement and a company, Law Enforcement Targets, whose shipments we handle each day.
Some of us removed the company’s packages from trucks that would deliver them to law enforcement. Others, in solidarity, refused to ferry these packages to their intended trailers.
Others posed with a sign reading “#handsupdontship.” The phrase “hands up, don’t shoot” has come to symbolize protest over the police shooting of Michael Brown, an unarmed, black 18-year-old in Ferguson, Missouri.
We decided we could not be silent while our work was contributing to the militarized violence that police are directing at Ferguson residents in the aftermath of Brown’s death.
This is high-stakes activism. These workers are at risk losing their jobs for this. Well done, UPS folks, for sticking to your principles.
This is where unity works. The powers use Racism to divide, we must see past the games and stand together.
Read each story here:http://vogue.cm/XSNWEq
Not sure if I’ve reblogged this before but it always bears repeating.
- Mike Brown’s mom laid flowers where he was shot and police let a dog pee on the memorial site
- “Stand Up Against Racism" demonstration outside US Embassy in London
- Police claim to have no records of arrests of journalists
- Illinois school bans discussions of Mike Brown’s death
- Gov. Nixon introduces new Public Safety Director
- Push for police to wear body cameras continues
- Jon Stewart on Ferguson
seriously Illinois? this state is corrupt.